Getting the invite to take part in a virtual premiere for a movie from Blumhouse was sort of like a dream. I’m a huge fan of thrillers/horror movies and I’ve enjoyed everything that’s come out of Blumhouse.
In the invite, I was able to choose between Black Box and The Lie (which I can’t wait to watch) as both were going to be streaming at the same time. After watching the trailers for both movies, I RSVP’d for Black Box.
Title: Black Box
Director: Emmanuel Osei-Kuffour
Time: 100 minutes
Release Date: October 6, 2020
Distributor: Amazon Video
After losing his wife and memory in a car accident, a single father undergoes an agonizing experimental treatment that causes him to question who he really is.
Cast: Mamoudou Athie, Phylicia Rashad, Amanda Christine, Tosin Morohunfola, Charmaine Bingwa, Donald Elise Watkins
Before we get to my top 5 reasons to watch, let’s check out the trailer.
Top 5 reasons to watch Black Box:
- the synopsis — I know one sentence doesn’t seem like a full synopsis, but I assure you that it tells you everything you need to know before you go in
- the sounds — the music is low and in some scenes non-existent and there’s a crackly, breaking, not-really-sure-how-to-explain-it sort of sound that I’ll probably never be able to get out of my head
- the faces — or maybe I should say the non-faces. there’s definitely some great cgi at work
- the memories — I loved the way the memories worked when Nolan was working in his mind. It was a clever way to unfold the story and see exactly what he was seeing
- the handshake — this will make sense only when you watch the movie, but there’s a great scene with it towards the end and it was everything
This was a story that kept me thinking about it after I was finished with it and then again the next day. I know it’ll be one I watch again to pick up on the small details that I probably missed.
Huge thanks to Amazon Studios and Blumhouse Television for the invite to participate. Black Box is streaming on Amazon Prime now.
Do you like thrillers? Will you be watching Black Box?